Saturday, September 16, 2006

update from Edinburgh

Well we are in Edinburgh now. I am with 2 other girls from our trip at an internet cafe, because the prices for internet at the hotel are downright extortionary (I don't know if that's a word or not).

Yesterday was very very long. We spent most of the day on the bus, as we traveled well over 200 miles from Chester to Edinburgh. Chester was a wonderful little town, and it was definitely the best hotel we'd had thus far. Edinburgh is quite amazing as well, and we got to sleep in for the first time today, which was good because I was quite exhausted, having taken a Dramamine to cure the motion sickness caused by Seamus driving us through winding hilly roads at approximately 112 miles per hour. I didn't do anything last night except eat in a pub called Tass and sit in my room with my eyes glazed over because I was so tired.

Our hotel (a Travelodge) is at a good/bad location, sitting right next to the Royal Mile (the big shopping/eating street here) and also right next to Cowgate (the sketchiest street here, which our professors warned us not to go down--so why did they pick this hotel again?).

We saw Edinburgh castle today, which was too touristy for my taste. There were tons of people there, and they had built a bunch of little shops and cafes into the castle walls. However, this is also where the "Honours" are kept, which include the crown jewels and the Stone of Scone (pronounced "scoon"), so seeing those was neat.

We also visited John Knox's grave today. Know where he's buried? A parking lot. I'm not even kidding. Beneath parking spot number 23 specifically, at the Church of St. Giles. There isn't even a plaque or anything, just a little blank gold-tone square in the pavement. Apparently they weren't all that keen on Knox since they decided to PAVE OVER HIS GRAVE.

We are going to go to dinner soon. I'm really trying to eat in as many pubs as possible, since there is no such thing as pub food at home. We also found a little place called Chocolate Soup, where I think we are going to go for dessert. At any rate, my internet time is about to run out.

For my fellow Furmanites, hope the first week of class went well! And to everyone else, Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eh, graves are overrated anywayz...
glad you seem to be enjoying yourself, even through the exhaustion. keep taking pics...photobucket is nice to upload heaps of em at a time.
i miss you <3